Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 8 hours of pinging

From: spiff () BWAY NET (spiff)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:40:53 -0500

Perhaps this is an Nmap -sP (ping scan) using the decoy option, and set to
a scan frequency low enough to avoid setting off IDS systems. The output
of this scan is any host listening at a particular address, which can then
be given as input to a more thorough scan of known 'alive' hosts. Of note,
if this _is_ an nmap scan, one of the addresses is the real ip of the
scanning host.

see www.insecure.org for Nmap.

spiff