Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: what to do with a script kiddie

From: MrDemeanour <mrdemeanour () jackpot uk net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 10:34:04 +0100

Lance Spitzner wrote:

On Jun 4, 2005, at 11:05, Stejerean, Cosmin wrote:

You should join his IRC channels and try to have a conversation
with the guy, see where it goes.

<snip>

- Ethical: The second issue is one of ethics.  The Honeynet Research
 Alliance is in the process of reviewing and better documenting these
issues in their charter, which you can find online now at http://www.honeynet.org/alliance/charter.txt. The suggestion above would most likely violate current ethical guidelines.

Hmmm. It's by no means obvious to me why it might be considered
"unethical" to engage a wrong-doer in discourse, or to join an IRC
channel that he had set up. There's no intrinsic harm to anyone in doing
either.

Perhaps "ethics" is the wrong term; aren't we really talking about how
to snoop on snoopers without putting onself in peril of legal action?

From a truly ethical POV, it seems to me that passive observation of
potentially criminal acts is more unethical than intervention.

--
Jack.