Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: SF new column announcement: Time to Dump IE

From: Nightslave <ravenlord () hotpop com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:40:08 +0800

I guess there are many ways of doing this..
Here are few sugestions
1. For those who favour COM/ATL can write IE plugin (like google bar) that follow a link in the page it visits or read a list of url from file.

2. Simple batch file that read a list of url and execute IE.
e.g explorer.exe %1 (but it will open one IE instance for every url if you feed %1 from file)

3. Server side script e.g PHP or PERL that leech for a url, and display it in separate frame. and make it refresh every n seconds. I guess we can even use javascript using this method..

4. Automate IE using VB here are some example....
Just paste the following code in a Standard Exe app in visual basic

----------------------------------- CUT HERE ----------------------------------------
    Dim ie As Object
    Dim url(5) As String

    ' should be fed via other mechanism
    url(0) = "http://www.google.com";
    url(1) = "http://www.yahoo.com";
    url(2) = "http://www.amazon.com";
    url(3) = "http://www.ebay.com";
    url(4) = "http://www.hotmail.com";

    Set ie = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
    'Display IE
     ie.Visible = True

    ' Start navigating url
    For i = 0 To UBound(url) - 1
        ie.navigate url(i)

        While ie.Busy
            DoEvents
        Wend

       ' wait until ie complete loading the page
         Do While Not ie.readyState = 4
            DoEvents
        Loop
   Next

 Set ie = Nothing

-- Azmadi

Ahh yes, the HoneyStick idea - http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/119/289303/2004-06-19/2004-06-25/2

Good idea. Anyone have any ideas for automating/randomizing IE to connect to sites? I know that I have been dealing with clients at work who accidently go to websites that have trojans such as Debeski - (http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_101057.htm). Once my security team is notified on this type of virus/trojan issues, we use VMware Windows desktops with IE to connect to these same sites and let it infect us to study it.

Now the question here is to automate this process and let it act as a spider/robot and let it out on the web to see what sites are doing this type of exploitation...

-Ryan

---