funsec mailing list archives

Re: "1984" sales spike

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:58:15 -0400

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 03:41:32PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
The US foreign policy in the Middle East has been f**k'd up
since before I was born, so that's at least 50 years.

A) I have sometimes jokingly suggested that perhaps all of this could
have been avoided if we'd simply given the nascent state of Israel
half of Nevada, and paid to move everything there.

Oh, sure, expensive as hell, but then again, 70 years of bloodshed,
instability, proxy wars, killings, more killings, killings because
of killings and more killings, etc., etc., etc. is expensive too.
And it may yet end in a nuclear exchange, whose longterm costs
to the planet will likely dwarf all those combined.

The more years that go by, the more often I'm not joking.

B) There is much wisdom in this exchange from "Kingdom of Heaven":

        Saladin: Will you yield the city?

        Balian of Ibelin: Before I lose it, I will burn it to the ground.
                Your holy places -- ours.  Every last thing in Jerusalem
                that drives men mad.

        Saladin: I wonder if it would not be better if you did.

---rsk