funsec mailing list archives

Re: "1984" sales spike

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:11:32 -0400

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com> wrote:
And while you're at it I'll digress from the fun in funsec slightly further, in suggesting that you thoughtfully
consider this unrelated petition that was inspired by current battles in Congress over immigration reform.

http://wh.gov/l3i8W
When I was younger, I used to drink a a little bar after work. Many of
the rednecks in that bar had nothing good to say about folks like
blacks and hispanics. They would claim the blacks and hispanics were
lazy and worthless, and they should be sent back to their countries.
In fact, some of those white folks would were more than happy to
collect unemployment rather than working the jobs the blacks and
hispanics would take.

Risk = Many immigrants enter the U.S. illegally every year, subsequently take jobs away from legal residents (under
the table), don't pay income taxes, don't pay into social security, put a drain on social services, and whatnot

Risk Countermeasures:
#1 - giant walls that span almost 2,000 miles, mega surveillance above and below ground, a million border guards, etc.
#2 - laws that threaten employers with hefty fines and/or prison sentences for hiring illegal aliens
What happens when no unemployed white worker will take the job? Do you
like your strawberries and peaches at a reasonable price (and funded
off the backs of migrant workers)? Or do you want to pay 9.99/lb?

Now we identify the Effectiveness of the two Countermeasures.

Countermeasure #1 = Medium effectiveness (which gets a value of 2, in a scale of 1-2-3)
Countermeasure #2 = High effectiveness (which gets a value of 3, in that same scale)
Where is the human factor?

Have you been to Mexico, Guatemal or El Salvador to see what those
people are leaving? I surely don't fault them for their desires of
things like clean water and better education for their children.

As a counterpoint: why would you consider a callused policy that
penalizes children? Those sorts of f**k up foreign policies brought on
9/11 (unless you believe they hate us because we are democratic).

Jeff