funsec mailing list archives

Re: OK, here's a risk analysis question for you ...

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 06:28:26 -0400

I checked it, and while I'm able to reproduce the calculation, I'm not
able to reproduce the numbers: my results are an order of magnitude and
change larger.  There could be any number of reasons for that: I might
have botched the math, or a units conversion, or chosen significantly
unrealistic values for some of the other parameters required (like
viscosity or fluid velocity).  Or my fluid mechanics may be rustier
than I thought.

But that's, I think, just one more reason why we should be dispensing
with all these estimates in favor of a direct measurement: the Pitot tube
method should yield a value for total fluid discharge accurate to better
than 1%.

Yup.  It's an absolutely valid argument that the reason we're stuck with
people pulling numbers out of their butt, is that there's really nowhere
else to pull said numbers from.