funsec mailing list archives

Re: 95% of User Generated Content is spam or malicious

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:39:05 -0500

Well, I'll differ with you here.  The only -- and I mean the *only* --
thing that I've seen which stops spammers (as opposed to merely stopping
spam, which anyone who can follow a simple cookbook can do) -- is the
refusal to grant privileges to known abusers.

Do we know what Postini and Google are doing?  If not, do we really
have any idea what works?

If not, can't we just say "We don't know what works, obviously
something does but we don't know what it is?"