funsec mailing list archives

Re: Best Linux distribution for home use (was: Family tech support)

From: Robert Portvliet <robert.portvliet () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:58:35 -0500

Ubuntu, it just works, I use it for my desktop & laptop, can't think
of a complaint.

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM,  <chris () blask org> wrote:
OK, folks,

You've made up my mind - my son's laptop is going linux.  He's the right age for it, I have the sneaking suspicion
there are linux distribs that suck less and I'm long since tired of dicking about with his Win7 beta that just wants
to reboot all the time.

So, the question is:  what is the best linux distribution for home use?

And who but this cloud of mad hatters could be better to ask?

I warn you all, though.  If I take your advice and have to spend six hours mucking about with display drivers to make
the windowing interface work (as I have with every linux distribution I've every loaded) I'm going to be spamming you
all with every g-d-forsaken error message it throws up...

-thanks (maybe) in advance,

-chris