funsec mailing list archives

Re: Best Linux distribution for home use (was: Family tech support)

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:48:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 chris () blask org wrote:

OK, folks,

You've made up my mind - my son's laptop is going linux.  He's the right
age for it, I have the sneaking suspicion there are linux distribs that
suck less and I'm long since tired of dicking about with his Win7 beta
that just wants to reboot all the time.

Unfair - maybe the distribution version is a lot better than the beta?

So, the question is:  what is the best linux distribution for home use?

And who but this cloud of mad hatters could be better to ask?

I warn you all, though.  If I take your advice and have to spend six
hours mucking about with display drivers to make the windowing interface
work (as I have with every linux distribution I've every loaded) I'm
going to be spamming you all with every g-d-forsaken error message it
throws up...

-thanks (maybe) in advance,

I have used a lot of Red Hat (now Fedora) distros over the last 10 years,
and I can't remember ever having to dick about with display drivers. This
isn't like Windows. Things just work.

And the Fedora 11 that I installed most recently, asked me two questions.
Where are you (UK) and what sort of keyboard do you have (UK). I was quite
annoyed that it didn't ask me about networking, until I discovered that it
didn't ask me because it was able to workout for itself that it could see
an ethernet interface, and a network, and what the IP address should be,
and all the stuff like that, without having to ask me!