funsec mailing list archives

Re: whitehouse cyber strategy review

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 01:12:26 -0500 (EST)

Don't run Windows, morons.
From the "What The Simpsons Taught Me About Cybersecurity"
department, one of my favorite episodes is where somebody explains to
Homer Simpson that people put tennis balls on the tips of their car
antennas so they can find their cars in a crowded parking lot. Homer
says "that's a great idea, everyone should do that!".

If I were security dictator, I wouldn't say "don't run Windows".
Well, actually, I might - but first, and more importantly, I'd say: no
monocultures.

Specifically, there are two edicts through which I'd say that:

- Don't run anything with over 30% market share.
- Each site (FWVO "site") must be run mixed, with at least three
   different systems each having at least 10% of the network.

Yes, the first one means periodic changes.  If the second one is
followed, they won't be especially drastic.  Ideally, I'd add parallel
dicta for the hardware - the above are just for the software - but the
software ones would, I suspect, get most of the benefit.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org