funsec mailing list archives

Re: whitehouse cyber strategy review

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:44:40 -0500

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 02:02:14PM -0800, chris () blask org wrote:
My guess is that the rate of discovery for existing
infections/compromises is meager, at best.  Whatever number you could
find I would inherently assume is at best half as bad as the situation
really is.  Most people are not equipped to determine that they have
been infected at all, and as long as the lights keep blinking - even
at a faster rate than legitimate usage would dictate - they aren't even
going to look (don't make me invoke Heartland again).

I have to concur with this.  I say "have to" because I'd really like
to disagree, but all available evidence suggests that Chris' assessment
is spot-on.

Dammit, could you be less depressingly correct on a Monday morning? ;-)

---Rsk