funsec mailing list archives

Re: whitehouse cyber strategy review

From: chris () blask org
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:02:14 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sun, 11/15/09, Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com> wrote:

Non-rhetorical question:

What do we think the infection discovery rate is, and do we
think it has increased or decreased in recent years?

More important than discovering infectious agents is discovering *infections themselves* (which may be what you meant).

I'm sure someone can quote some stats as far as discovering infectious agents goes, but at a certain level I think it
becomes moot.  The best we will ever do as far as developing signatures is to identify the popular attacks, but what we
need to worry about as individual companies are the hand-crafted ones (just for me?  how sweet!).  Don't use your
homemade malware against more than a handful of sites and it will almost never be caught up in the signature discovery
net.

My guess is that the rate of discovery for existing infections/compromises is meager, at best.  Whatever number you
could find I would inherently assume is at best half as bad as the situation really is.  Most people are not equipped
to determine that they have been infected at all, and as long as the lights keep blinking - even at a faster rate than
legitimate usage would dictate - they aren't even going to look (don't make me invoke Heartland again).

-chris