funsec mailing list archives

Re: Foiled terror plot aboard Northwest Flight 253 sparks strict security rules for air passengers

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 14:03:33 -0500 (EST)

There are those who say the same is true of the IT security industry:
that we don't address the root problems because the problems keep us
in business.  We know that isn't true.

Do we?

While I know it isn't true of me personally, I feel sure it is true of
some fraction of IT-sec people (though I also suspect that fraction is
quite small) but is it true of the industry?  I don't know.
Organizations often exhibit epiphenomenal behaviour very different from
and not directly traceable to the behaviours of the individuals making
them up.

[...] I don't think there is a single soldier on the planet who
wouldn't give significant parts of their anatomy to bring Bin Laden
to justice.

Even if restricted to "the West", I doubt that's so; there are enough
soldiers that I feel reasonably sure there are at least a few who
really don't much care either way - and substantially more, enough to
speak of them as a fraction rather than a count of invidivuals, who
just want him dead and justice (FWVO "justice") take the hindmost.

Not that I'm happy about either. :-/  (I'm fairly lawfully aligned, and
that includes a strong belief in rule-of-law....)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org