funsec mailing list archives

Re: Old Tech [WAS: Re: Hot new tech!]

From: David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:49:56 -0400

[TLB:]
There are jurisdictions in the country where each head of household is
required to designate their "reserve sheriff" who is the responsible
member who is armed.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/02/the_city_where_.html

Funny how those tend to be the polite, low-crime ones.

Just to be an SOB, I'll point out that it's hard to tell which way
causation flows.  "Places where people are allowed (or required) to be
armed are polite and low-crime places" sounds rather different from "It's
the polite and low-crime places where people are allowed (or required) to
be armed", even though they come from about the same data.

See also "Babies who are picked up more cry more" vs "Babies who cry more
get picked up more", and for that matter "People in hospitals are often
ill" vs "Ill people are often in hospitals".

Note that I'm not expressing any opinion on "guns cause politeness" vs
"politeness is required before you can risk letting people have guns";
just noting a common ambiguity in the data...

DC