funsec mailing list archives

Re: global warming is b/s? nice hatchet job

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 05:47:32 -0400

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 09:40:46PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
For example: there isn't the slightest reason for any security
conference to happen, per se.  There's no need to heat/cool a meeting
place, no need to expend jet fuel/gasoline/diesel transporting people
to it, etc.  It's completely possible to do the entire thing
virtually -- and while that also uses some energy, of course, it's
far less.

Yes, but the benefits are also substantially less.  You lose all the
meetings at meals, yakking with randoms met in the hallway, etc, which
in my experience usually rival and often surpass in value the overt
business of the conference.

Yes, I know.  But we could -- if we had the will -- replace that.  We've
invented plenty of technology (including this here intarwebs) and worked
out plenty of social interactions which use it.   This is just one more.
(e.g.: there was a time when having a conversation with someone required
being in proximity.  Now that we have this "telephone" thingy, we can do
it remotely.)

But we just don't want to: we're creatures of habit and we like our habits,
and we probably won't change them until we're compelled to.  Which is why
even organizations *which would not exist* were it not for the Internet
will steadfastly refuse to actually use the Internet to full advantage.

---Rsk