funsec mailing list archives

Re: global warming is b/s? nice hatchet job

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:04:23 -0700

If anyone's loud and shrill it's the "It's a disaster and we have to
implement Kyoto NOW, you <insert expletive>!" crowd.

I will agree that the debate has degenerated into namecalling, as
opposed to trying to rationally address the issues.

1: Is the world warming? Seems to be true.

2: Is it man-made?  Perhaps, but there's no doubt that at least one of
our actions, releasing CO2 into the atmosphere, tends to cause it, so we
are probably accelerating any natural effect in 1 above.

3: Is this a bad thing? The wailing of "Planet In Peril", "An
Inconvenient Truth", and the other propaganda pieces of the
lefty-infotainment crowd notwithstanding, I think there hasn't been
really serious discussion of this.

4: If it IS bad, where on the list of problems facing the human race is
it? IMNSHO, radical Islamism (to include their birthrates); the lack of
potable water; and a growing centralization of power in a transnational
elite that are beholden to no-one but themselves, with the attendant
widening of the gulf between haves and have-nots; are all bigger
problems than even the direst predictions if a 5 Celsius rise were to
occur. The latter will be exacerbated by all the remedies for Climate
Change that are currently on the table, by empowering transnational,
unelected, bureaucrats.

5: If it is important to fix, how best to do it? IMNSHO all the current
proposals won't reduce the total CO2 emissions one iota, and will
increase the other harmful emissions that have been reduced in the
industrialized nations, as industrial production is shifted to places
that either aren't party to the agreements (India and China) or where
the rule of law is easily subverted (Brazil etc.).

So, while the debate has degenerated into screeching by religious nuts
of the Gaianist or "Manifest Destiny" persuasion at each other about
item 1 and 2; the real issues that need to be debated are in 3-5, and I
see precious little discussion of them.

Color me a "denier" if you wish, but you'd be wrong. I'm a pragmatist
who doesn't think telling the tide not to come in is likely to be
successful.

To keep this on topic: I think that "Climate Change" is the least
important reason to move off of oil. I believe the #1 problem in the
world is the enrichment of religious lunatics who want to cause the
arrival of the 12th Imam or subjugate the whole world to Allah by
shifting wealth from the industrialized nations to the OPEC ones. That's
a SECURITY problem, and one we should have addressed in the 80s, instead
of creating the monster of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.