funsec mailing list archives

Re: global warming is b/s? nice hatchet job

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:36:08 -0700

We're among the most net-literate people on the planet, and yet
we've failed to use it to maximum advantage and thus reduce our
energy consumption.

Speak for yourself. I've worked from a home office for the last 8 years.
My total miles driven in that time are just over 100K, in highly car
dependent San Diego, CA.

Despite that, thanks to CA's absurd electric tariffs, I don't save much
money, because I get nailed with a $500+ electric bill every month by
SDG&E which insists a "residence" should not use as much juice as I do
(and that's after switching all my systems to Opteron HEs).
Unfortunately, due to the real estate crash, getting solar financed is
problematic, and before the crash, it was fiscally imprudent since there
were no incentives and the cost of the panels was too high.

Plenty of jobs DO require going someplace, and humans are still
basically social animals, where the non-verbal, peripheral vision, cues
are more important than the literal in communication. So, 4 IEEE
meetings a year doesn't' strike me as irresponsible, and it's certainly
critical for my career.

The only currently practical solution to oil dependence that won't
impoverish the world and starve millions is nuclear. If your answer is
"reduce the surplus population", then by all means follow your own
dictates: you and yours first.

The nukes that TMI represented are obsolete. Current technology is
significantly better.

If it weren't for nuclear power, France would be a third world country.

The equating of nuclear power with nuclear weapons is a complete red
herring. Anyone who could take fuel from a power-generation reactor and
turn it into a weapon could much more easily steal a pre-built weapon
from a former soviet republic, or make a dirty bomb.

In any event, I wasn't discussing what countries other than the US, or
certainly other first world countries, should do. If China and India
(both of whom already have the bomb) want to be held hostage by Chavez
and Iran, then that's up to them.