funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft announce most secure OS on the planet

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:27:48 -0400 (EDT)

[...] to date [Firefox] has not been subjected to anything like the
same level of scrutiny for exploitable holes by the bad guys (or
anyone else) largely because of its market share (and a misguided
belief that because OSS code _can_ be scrutinized by millions of
eyeballs, it is almost necessarily better scrutinized than non-OSS
code).  Thus, FF's market share means the (mostly) monetizable value
of finding and exploiting vulnerabilities in FF makes doing so orders
of magnitude less attractive to the bad guys

That's actually not the only reason.  Another is that Firefox has a
greater variety of underlying OSes, some of which go to substantially
greater lengths than Windows does to make certain common classes of
vulnerability (eg, classic smash-the-stack-frame overflows) harder to
exploit.  This means that even if you find such a bug, your exploit
will work only on some indeterminate (but probably, at most, moderate)
fraction of Firefox installs: even if the rest are theoretically
vulnerable, you have to guess right about various things to make it
work, some of which may change from invocation to invocation.

In a couple of years, as a greater and greater proportion of Windows
users are forced to "better" versions of IE, these economics will
likely change,

True - but then one place where open source _does_ have an advantage
will show itself: the turnaround time on fixes can be _much_ shorter.
I have trouble imagining Microsoft releasing an IE fix in less than a
week - heck, it's often hard enough to get them to admit a problem
_exists_ that fast.  But I've seen fixes to OSS appear within as little
as a few hours on some occasions.

Not that that makes it any easier to get fixes installed....

but the next low-hanging fruit will then probably be the third-party
add-ons that are common _across browsers_ and typically exploitable
across browsers too (and yes, we have been seeing this for a while
now), rather than "the browser with next largest market share".

There's that, too.  One of the best things you can do for the security
of your systems is probably to run a non-x86 CPU architecture - a
lower-level version of the "Windows 3.1" security I mentioned upthread.
Of course, this works only as long as the CPU you choose is chosen for
only a small fraction of the machines out there.  (Another reason I
find the current trend to CPU monoculture depressing.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org