funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft announce most secure OS on the planet

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:15:35 -0700

Date sent:              Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:12:26 -0400
From:                   Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com>

Facinating. Think of how secure DOS and CP/M are by this standard.

Hey, CP/M is the only OS I know that still doesn't have a virus  :-)

Not true. There were malware games for CP/M. If you downloaded the wrong stuff on some "sketchy" bbs... Usually the injection vector was some program that wasn't what it purported to be. That stuff used to be relegated
to inter-BBS kiddie rivalry...

http://fixunix.com/cp-m/289-cp-m-virus.html recounts at least one called "frogger"

..quote..

A few of us were unlucky enough to download and run a program
called "Frogger" which was posted on Bill Bolton's bulletin board in
Sydney. I think the year was '80 or '81.

It wasn't so much a virus as a malicious trojan. I remember that thing
very well. Upon downloading it, I ran it whereupon it displayed a message
like "Creating the game matrix - please wait". What it really did
was enumerate every file on the floppy drive replacing the contents of
each file with the message "Destroyed by Frogger".

..endquote..

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
Vancouver, Canada  March 16-20 2009  http://cansecwest.com