funsec mailing list archives

Re: cyber-9/11

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 23:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

Jon Kibler wrote:
First, your perception that attacks from China
are "teenagers" or
"script kiddies" is wrong. It is well
documented that the State is
behind a lot of these intrusions.

Begging the question, well documented where?

I was going to ask the same question.

I'd love to see these documents, they would completely change my point of view.

Robert, if you have a better idea how to force security
accountability by providers of critical infrastructure, I am
sure the world would be glad to hear from you.

I don't understand the question. The power critical infrastructure is no more vulnerable to cyberattack than it is to a
physical attack, such as bombing selected power substations, or holding an engineer's family hostage while he flips the
appropriate switch on a nuclear reactor. State actors or well-funded terrorist organizations do not like hacking. The
reason is that the results are unreliable. They'd rather go the physical route and get the desired result in a
predictable timeframe.

I agree with the point that SCADA is laughably weak, I disagree that drastic government control is needed to fix the
problem, or will fix the problem.

I agree that SCADA systems are extremely weak. I curl up in a ball laughing on the floor every time somebody mentions
"Smart Grid". Here is a paper I gave a couple years ago at Black Hat. It's nothing surprising, but it's first-hand
knowledge (that is, when I say SCADA is weak, it's because I've seen it for my own eyes, not because it heard it was
well docum
http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-federal-06/BH-Fed-06-Maynor-Graham-up.pdf

If China were to go to war against us, they would more likely bomb carefully selected power stations than hack in our
systems. It's easier, and more assured of success. (Causing a power blackout either through hacking or bombing is
equally an act of war).

Our electrical grid is already vulnerable to a physical attack. The question is whether we should invest