funsec mailing list archives

Re: The PCI sky *isn't* falling!

From: Amrit Williams <johndoe321 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:13:59 -0700

I think the point he was making about you being from a vendor that offers
PCI oriented solutions for a fee is that your view is somewhat tainted and
not objective, not that there's anythign wrong with having a biased view,
but it is what it is...

: I'd say that PCI DSS did more to information security than *anything
: else* since Windows added automated updates.

2 years ago you might have said...

: I'd say that "Log management" did more to information security than
*anything
: else* since Windows added automated updates.

I can see a POV that states that PCI has helped organizations that lack even
a base level of security to find a path towards a base level of things they
could check for like whether or not they have updated their AV - not that it
makes them more or less secure or more less prone to a breach, just a set of
things they can check for, but to say that "PCI DSS did more to information
security than anything else since..." is bordering on ridiculous at best .
Of course no offense Anton =)

Amrit