funsec mailing list archives

Re: The PCI sky *isn't* falling!

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:56:54 +0000 (UTC)

: > same answer: "I don't participate in security theater." I think this
:
: First, I am amazed how people so intelligent can hold opinions so
: shortsighted :-)

s/shortsighted/practical  ?

: I'd say that PCI DSS did more to information security than *anything
: else* since Windows added automated updates.

Care to back that up in any way? I think the customers of Heartland, RBS
and other compromises would disagree.

: Now, some might say that my argument is of the type "Why do 99% of
: lawyers give the rest a bad name?", but it is not. I am pretty sure that
: even companies that "do it just the auditor" or, worse, deceive their
: PCI assessor still gain a tiny fraction of risk reduction, both for
: themselves - and for the rest of us.

Is that "tiny fraction of risk reduction" evident in Heartland / RBS? Is
that fraction worth the trade-off for an entirely inflated false sense of
security?

:     Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D
:    http://www.chuvakin.org
: http://chuvakin.blogspot.com
:   http://www.info-secure.org

You forgot one part of your sig:

Director of PCI Compliance Solutions at Qualys

- security curmudgeon