funsec mailing list archives

Re: The PCI sky *isn't* falling!

From: "Justin Scott" <admin () dtdns com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:56:39 -0400

Safer as in having a lot of eggs in one attractive basket
is safer than lots of less-safe but not-worth-hacking
baskets? Safer as in "big companies don't get hacked"?

The problem is that the smaller sites are worth hacking these days.  The
larger companies are doing a better job, and the hackers have been making
increasing attempts on smaller sites.  I mean safer as in "at least the
payment data is going to a company that knows what it should be doing than
to one who doesn't know or care what a firewall is and don't understand (or
want to understand) why they have to pay for it and everything else that
goes with being compliant."  That's not to say larger companies can't or
don't get hacked (obviously they do), but overall I think the risk is lower
because the people there have some knowledge of the risk where your average
small business owner usually won't take the time to have a clue.

-Justin Scott