funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: "Paul M. Moriarty" <pmm () igtc com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:21:00 -0700

On Mar 20, 2009, at 6:43 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

You want "curmudgeon"?  I'll give ya curmudgeon...

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:27:43PM -0400, B.K. DeLong wrote:
This post has been full of nothing but sad curmudgeons grumbling
about
"new-fangled technology" and "how good the old stuff works so why
change?"

And yet the "sad old curmudgeons" have been the only ones to display
an acceptable grasp of rudimentary netiquette: not full-quoting, not
top-posting, not sending superfluous copies of messages to people
who are known to be subscribed to the list.  It would appear they
still
have some things to teach the newbies who haven't yet learned how to
use email properly and politely. 1/2 ;-), 1/2 not

1991 called.  They want their netiquette FAQ back.

You might want to remember that the "sad old curmudgeons" built the
network you're currently using.  And that perhaps they're not quite as
reactionary as you seem to think, but rather more cynical about the
latest transient and unimportant fad.  After all: they've seen many.

Many of the newbies (in my view: "anyone who did not have an address
ending in .ARPA") seem very intent on constantly creating and using
new
communication methods while failing to master any of the ones they
already have.  And thus we see ever-more-elaborate, ever-more-
heavyweight
mechanisms put in play, many of which are actually far worse in terms
of facilitating communication than those they would replace, and
most of
which carry serious privacy, security and abuse risks that have not
been adequately researched or analyzed prior to production deployment.

Well, I can't claim a .arpa, but I've been around 20+ years.  It
strikes me that if we left the Internet in the hands of the "old
timers", we'd be stuck in a world of 7-bit ascii remarking about the
latest breakthroughs with gopher.  Because, in my experience,  plain
text ascii is world that most old timers either live in or pine for.

None of these have yet approached the utility, efficiency,
scalability,
resilience, and reach that Usenet had decades ago.  It's very
instructive

Usenet failed to scale. The mid-90's was when Internet adoption truly
took off and that's when Usenet broke.  Anarchy reigned and new
newsgroups proliferated without rhyme or reason.  It became impossible
for all but big companies with lots of bandwidth to play the Usenet
game.  Correlation or causailty, I don't know and I don't care.  But
please don't hold up Usenet as a some model of greatness to be admired
and emulated.