funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:40:38 -0400 (EDT)

Like, oh, just to pick an example, Usenet back in the dialup days.
Now that's a fond memory.  I still vividly recall scrambling to
figure out how I was going to convince Large Midwestern University to
pay the phone bills that ballooned quickly with usage.

But it was worth it.  The peer-to-peer interactions with people
engaged in similar computing efforts elsewhere provided a wealth of
information, so if assessed purely on a bang/buck basis, it was a
huge win.

Yes...in retrospect.  The problem is to identify the expenditures that
will turn out to be huge wins in retrospect, at the time.  There are
lots of other costs that people pushed regulations to get institutions
to support that didn't produce return - but they're now forgotten.
(Well, by everyone except the principals, and sometimes even them.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org