funsec mailing list archives

Re: So, did the BBC cross the line?

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:02:27 -0400

I personally felt somewhat ill when watching the program.  So, why?

For me, the legal issue is only one part of this.  While I do agree with
the legal analysis, there is a deeper moral and ethical issue here.  The
BBC will get out of any legal trouble with an argument for the "greater
good", and that "no harm was done".  And they'll win on that argument.
End of story.

But malware researchers routinely deal with botnets for analysis
purposes.  It would be considered a high crime indeed to allow a spambot
to actually send spam to the outside world, even for "testing" purposes.
And, shutting down a botnet yourself, even with the best intentions, is
simply not a good idea.  You don't know what accidental harm you may
cause.  You also don't really know what's on the user's system that will
simpy restart the whole process.

I've personally come across dozens of these things, as many of you have.
I know my personal feeling is always to get the hell out of there.  We
need to know what we need to know in terms of mitigation, etc. but you
just don't mess with these things. You don't get involved, because it's
not only wrong, there are too many unintended consequences that can
occurr.  You're playing with fire.  Report it to the ISP, report it to
the relevant authorities, but don't play with live ammo like this.

It's highly disturbing that the BBC has, in effect, set a precedent
here:  If it's all for the good, then no worries, go ahead, blunder
around and disable botnets, change user's desktop settings, show off how
they send spam -- it's all ok, because the means justifies the end.

Doesn't work for me.  At all.

Alex