funsec mailing list archives

Re: So, did the BBC cross the line?

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:54:05 -0400

What about pollution and disruption of a botnet, be it via direct
participation, or outside measures like predictive DNS registration?
Where does mitigation end?

I would suggest that there is a world of difference between using a
botnet to send spam, even for experimental purposes, or to change user
settings, than what you're discussing here.

The line I draw is actually clicking on buttons in the botnet, playing
with it like it's some kind of cat or something.   And then doing
anything with the botnet to do something on user systems.

I hope this line is clear.  If it's not, I'm not sure what else to add.

Alex