funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cybercrime as destructive as credit crisis

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:33:01 -0500

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:24:15 CST, Thomas Raef said:
What, you don't think that the same political and economic forces that
are part of the root cause of issues in Darfur, Somalia, and the Congo aren't
*also* part of the reason why Nigerian 419 scams are one of the few
lucrative fields in that country?

I guess living in my Chicago suburban home, I never thought of it like
that. That's why I was asking. I'm always looking for insight from
others who have a broader view of things than I do.

Read the stuff from Time's Person of the Year 2007 where they chose Putin:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/

(Particularly the interview under "A Bible, but no e-mail")

Then think about Putin's mindset, and what that means for the way that he
(and Russia as a whole) feels towards the US.

Now change gears, and think "malware", and then think "RBN", and ponder our
chances of doing much better at getting at the root causes of those two than
just playing whack-a-mole with Intercage and McColo.

This shit is *all* connected...