funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cybercrime as destructive as credit crisis

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:18:11 -0500

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:05:12 CST, Thomas Raef said:
pending crisis in computer security, Darfur, Somali pirates, global
warming, civil war in the Congo, ...

Feel free to *try* to go for a week and *not* turn your head at a
crisis you hear about. Actually care about every single one. Let me know
how it works >out for you...

Not to make any those issues seem inconsequential, but Somali pirates
don't affect every business in the world. Yes we need to do something
about it, but it won't shut down many businesses. Global warming, well
Al Gore (inventor of the Internet) will tackle that. Civil war in the
Congo is basically a regional thing.

But computer security is something that affects almost everyone. Don't
you think it's more difficult to turn your head to issues that directly
affect you?

What, you don't think that the same political and economic forces that are
part of the root cause of issues in Darfur, Somalia, and the Congo aren't
*also* part of the reason why Nigerian 419 scams are one of the few lucrative
fields in that country?