funsec mailing list archives

RE: Big Brother is listening

From: Charles PICKENS <charles.pickens () itergy com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:33:41 -0400

(spits drink on keyboard and screen)

"sinko-de-mayo"...

Man, I am honestly stunned. I know most people in the U.S. think that spelling phonetically is a god-given-right, but
seriously. You live in a place where there is a very high concentration of Spanish-speaking people.

Cinco = five
de = of
Mayo = May

Effectivly Mexico's national holiday celibrating the successful fight against the french invasion of Mexico City (but
the French came back the next year an won round 2). It is not Mexican Indipendance Day however.

Other great moments on Cnco de Mayo:

First U.S. astronaut in space! Alan Shephard! 1961 (goes well with today's 50th anniversary of Sputnik)
The Canucks and the Brits free (officially) the Netherlands and Denmark from the Nazis! 1945 (we have quite the
celibration here in Ottawa... lots of tulips)
America invades the Dominican Republic (republic in name only) 1916.
Cy Young pitches the first "perfect game" in baseball history! 1904 (back when people really, REALLY loved the game...
Columbus "discovers" Jamaica... gets hammered on rum, thinks he's back in Spain and calls everyone "my best friend for
life <burp>"

I guess I needed a little more "fun" in my "sec" today...

No disrespct intended to anyone... except Columbus