funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. 'State Secrets' Case May Get Airing

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:56:30 -0500

On 10/11/07, Dave Dittrich <dittrich () u washington edu> wrote:

Well, if Wikipedia is your weapon of choice:

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

Relevance?

If its the US govt, asserting a legal right to do something,
and that something could equally apply WITHIN the US border
to a US citizen, then it doesn't matter who the subject is.
Its the application of legal principles, grounded in
the Constitution, that matters.

Why no reference for this?

What legal principal provides governments with "rights", legal or otherwise?

What legal principles exist outside of OUR legal system when it comes
to OUR government?

Outside of our borders the Constitution has no power - its a contract
between the fed gov, the states in the union and the People. "Certain
inalienable rights" are universal as they are endowed by our creator,
there is no right to free speech in Cuba as Cuba is not in the US and
the US enumerated the right of the People to speak freely with the 1st
Amendment to the Constitution.

War time powers are another matter...

Thanks for pointing out why its important our rights
are protected. :)

OUR rights are protected, and that is important. Protecting foreign
persons rights in foreign countries is not so important.