funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Privacy is dead; Just ask the president

From: Shyaam <shyaam () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:33:15 -0400

You are very true. I did not mean that US got profited by this way. But in
general sense, war is not just for DEMOCRACY. I am sure that anyone would
agree on that. There has not been a single war in the history for DEMOCRACY.
They call it as DEMOCRACY even if it was fought for the land.

But anyways, I am NOT an American, atleast not yet. And I am NOT opposing
the Governments decisions as they know better about LAW and WAR. But, all I
was trying to say is, instead of concentrating only on the External Factors,
we should look at the internal strength. Are we strong enough to handle such
major privacy loss? What if some bad guys come into the nation? Here is the
thing, when someone is on the top, which I believe that US is, then every
other nation around the world including the ones against US will be watching
for situations where they can bring the nation down.

On such occasions, it is not just the few agents planted around the world
who is going to help to containing any such situation, but the overall
nation itself. As an example, if you eat something that is not supposed to
be taken in, your body throws it out or indicates it to you in the form of
allergies or immediate reactions. Do you know if the terrorists are already
in, using such Privacy loss/data theft cases? Nope. I dont think so. Its
only in the movies where agents can be that brilliant, they are normal
humans too(may be with special characteristics to detect anomaly). But
anyways, once again this is not about the agents or the people who is
allowing people to enter the nation. It is about the overall Privacy issue.

At least, let the people know that they are NOT secured properly to the
extent of what they think security is. At least they should be informed NOT
to sleep in peace, assuming that the National security will protect them
when someone is coming into the nation using the common people's identity.
Loss of Privacy
- Terrorism Factor (Scale: Infinity)
- Money loss, Please dont say no, How many bank accounts and passwords have
been lost due to phishing (Scale: High)
- SSN Loss (Severity: High) include the cost of issuing new SSN and also,
some people are not aware of what their SSN with certain other details could
do to bring bad ones into the nation.
- Critical Infrastructure Protection (Scale: Undefined, beyond Infinity)

I am not talking about this after watching "Live Free, or Die hard" or
"Sword Fish" or "Matrix", lol.  But why not let the people know the truth
that they are in an Insecure state and why not keep the truth high
lightened, atleast in that way the people will group together in the
community and take some preventive actions and stay more alert and informed
to keep intruders away from their local areas.

Shyaam

On 7/21/07, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:

On 7/21/07, Shyaam <shyaam () gmail com> wrote:

> Instead of conquering other nations and gaining more money in war,

I agree with virtually everything you said, except this statement. Its
been shown that we have spent more money running up to and invading
Iraq than we could have ever hoped to get out of the oil Iraq
possesses. It wasn't a war for oil.

I personally can't say what it was a war for - and not being the
President or one of his close advisers/confidants, I'll probably never
know (nor will anyone else who will most assuredly chime in here) and
won't argue for or against anyone's uninformed opinions. However, I
don't mind it because I believe that if we pull it off (which becomes
more and more unlikely given people's attitudes - not because of
anything actually happening on the ground there) the ends way outweigh
the means.

--
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Shyaam Sundhar R.S., GREM, GHTQ, GWAS, GPCI