funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed theDeclarationofIndependence ?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:31:00 -0400

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:10:03 +0300, "Stephen P. Villano" said:

Nope, only the CONTINENT of Australia as a penal colony for those who were
"subversives".

For some reason, I thought Australia was populated by *convicted* felons - i.e.
they had their day in court (with whatever fairness was in vogue at the time),
and deported after being found guilty.  I wasn't aware that the British were
sticking people on ships headed for Australia for the express purpose of
avoiding having to give them a trial.  Feel free to provide pointers if I
snoozed through that class in World History.. ;)