funsec mailing list archives

RE: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed theDeclarationofIndependence ?

From: "Stephen P. Villano" <stephen.villano () us army mil>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:10:03 +0300

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:04:55 CDT, Brian Loe said:

I mean, if you consider Britain to have greater civil rights because
they can't fire jihadists on their POLICE FORCE, okay,

On the other hand, I haven't seen where Britain has intentionally and
publicly set up a place like Guantanamo Bay specifically so that they could
hold people there in an >>extra-legal status.

Nope, only the CONTINENT of Australia as a penal colony for those who were
"subversives".

Finally, broadband access? You don't suppose that has anything to do
with the size of this country do you? Ridiculous...bordering insanity.

Well, even when we stack the deck by saying that "a county is
broadband-enabled if *one* customer has 128K connectivity",  the numbers are
pretty bad.  If anything, Canada >has *more* wide-open spaces than we do, a
lower population density, and *they* manage an *average* of 7mbit speeds for
consumer broadband.
Try getting that even in most of the well-populated suburban areas of the
US.

Oh, and there's cell phones too.  We seem to be several years behind the
curve on that as well.
All too true. Though there are even worse places for "broadband", such as
the Middle East and China.
Of course the vast majority of the world populace is ahead of the US in cell
phone technology. When the service providers are protected, no true
competition occurs and stasis is the result. That's why the greatest quantum
leap in the US for cell phones is the iPhone and my iMate was unheard of in
the US...

ALL nations of man have their sins. Some on the past, some present. What
marks the society is how they deal with their sins, hide them or display
them in plain sight while dealing with them.
So far, the current administration is lacking in the latter. Only history
will tell where that course leads.
Of course, the US has shown a history of not cleaning up past messes. Either
the society will collapse under it's own garbage or it'll eventually will
clean up the mess at greater cost. Another one for future history books to
review.

What I've learned from hard won experience is this: Deal what is currently
happening. Do the best you can to make things even a little better than it
is now. Try to clean up your own mess. Try to plan for tomorrow, but be
ready to toss those plans on the "back burner" for today's emergencies...
AND:
I firmly believe that it's possible to do the right thing for the wrong
reason. What that occurs, one tends to take the wrong path, which results in
disorder and potential disaster. As one continues down the wrong path,
correcting the mistakes increments logarithmically in difficulty to correct,
but is rarely impossible to repair, though at greater cost to one's self
esteem.
Hence, it's always better to try to do the right thing for the right reason
the first time out...

My comments in no way reflect the opinion of my employer or their
associates. As such, they are my own opinions and not an official stance of
my employer or any associated government or commercial entity.

That said, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has at least one. Some more
than others, some with one located beneath their nose and above their
chin...