funsec mailing list archives

Re: Off Beat: U.S. Navy to Mask Swastika-Shaped Barracks

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:21:04 -0500

On 9/27/07, Young, Keith <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov> wrote:

On 9/26/07, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

Please explain to me what a "state secret" is, and why everything
seems to be a state sekrit these days (bonus points for using a brain

-- not necessarily yours).

Why, is the connection to your brain broken?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_secret

Brian,

By your comment, you seem to have missed the word "everything" in Paul's
above sentence.

No I didn't, I chose to ignore it as the snide commentary that it is.
I would generally agree with the commentary but since I'm being put in
a defensive position I simply chose to ignore it.

Now, based on your Wikipedia link, could you please tell me what
classification level aerial photographs of barracks should be:

Why don't you do it for yourself, you're a security guy right? Do you
have to be a military general to understand the value of troop
movement intelligence? What about troop levels? What about readiness
levels? What about that which we don't know, and might not understand
simply looking at an aerial photograph but which the enemy (be it
China, Russia or the UK) would?

I would start at "Confidential" for most bases, and go "Top Secret"
for bases like Whiteman AFB in Knob Noster, MO.

I would consider most satellite images found on Google to be of little
value to any enemy for *most* bases, but then I'm not a military
intelligence office for our side or the enemy - and what I don't know
could cost us.