funsec mailing list archives

RE: Off Beat: U.S. Navy to Mask Swastika-Shaped Barracks

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:16:44 -0400

On 9/26/07, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

Please explain to me what a "state secret" is, and why everything
seems to be a state sekrit these days (bonus points for using a brain

-- not necessarily yours).

Why, is the connection to your brain broken?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_secret

Brian,

By your comment, you seem to have missed the word "everything" in Paul's
above sentence.

Now, based on your Wikipedia link, could you please tell me what
classification level aerial photographs of barracks should be:

* Top Secret (TS)
    The highest level of classification of material. Such material would
cause "exceptionally grave damage" to national security if publicly
available.

* Secret
    Such material would cause "serious damage" to national security if
publicly available.

* Confidential
    Such material would cause "damage" or be "prejudicial" to national
security if publicly available.

* Unclassified
    Technically not a classification level, but is used for government
documents that do not have a classification listed above. Such documents
can be viewed by those without security clearance.

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland