funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] A few thoughts, well spoken.

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:19:37 -0500

On 9/11/07, Alex Eckelberry <AlexE () sunbelt-software com> wrote:

A central conservative tenant is:  Governments are not to be trusted.
Yet conservatives are willy-nilly promoting trust of the government.

We really don't need to wreck civil liberties in order to protect our
country.

I have no doubt, especially based on our off-list discussions, that
you are a conservative. However I think you should add something to
your argument. What Bush has done is nothing new, either to the
Presidency or the Republican Party. In fact, I'm not sure why we are
still talking in terms of parties - I can't see a difference between
the two. Their only tenant appears to be: get elected and then get
re-elected. They're following it fine.

Bush one was not a good president for civil liberties (Ruby Ridge,
AWB, NAFTA, etc..). Clinton was absolutely HORRIBLE for civil
liberties (Waco, AWB, NAFTA) AND foreign policy (Israel, his various
wag-the-dog "wars"). Bush two has simply taken all of it another step,
the next step.