funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 00:31:23 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007, Brian Loe wrote:

On 8/31/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

And screw the other 2... no thanks, it could be me or mine.

If you can't see that a reduction of murders from 4 million to 2 million
is a Good Thing, then you're in a very small minority.

If you think that 2 million dead is a good thing then I HOPE you're in
the minority.

OK, I guess you can't see that 4 million murders is worse than 2 million
murders. Since that's your mindset, I'm going to abandon explaining to you
why making guns illegal is a good idea, and I'll concentrate on explaining
to you why 4 million murders is worse than 2 million. It's more important
that you understand that, I think.

It's because twice as many people are getting killed, and that's bad. On a
personal level, if there are 300 million people in the USA, and 4 million
get murdered, then your own personal probability of getting murdered is
more than 1 percent, whereas with the 2 million figure, it's less than 1
percent. Not that I think these are the actual numbers, but they're the
numbers that you suggested, so I'll stick with those for now.

Final analogy I will use on this and then, since its dwindling anyway,
I'll let the thread die:

There are three kinds of people in this world: sheep, wolves and
sheepdogs.

I thought there were three kinds of people, the ones who can count and the
ones who can't.