funsec mailing list archives

Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:21:43 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Brian Loe wrote:

On 8/29/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

No, I was simply challenging the idea that so many people have, that the
USA was founded on the principle of "liberty for all". This is part of an
ongoing education process to help you understand your history and culture.

Thanks, but no thanks. "Liberty for All" means exactly what we say it
means

It means whatever your bosses decide it means. And it changes like the
weather. Fact is, your country was not founded on "liberty for all", under
any reasonable definition of "all".

- and it has since the beginning. Because we didn't acknowledge
some people as fully human (much like your own country for a much

Yes, they did recognise them as human, and possessed of a soul.

longer time) doesn't detract from that. We figured it out. We're over
it, and millions of immigrants have enjoyed that Liberty for All
since.

Actually, you haven't figured it out yet. "Liberty for all" still doesn't
mean "all", by any reasonable definition.