funsec mailing list archives

Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:45:12 -0500

On 8/29/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

 The fundamental values of equality and reason that I believe are core
aspects of my national culture are being used incsincerely by people to
justify thier self-satisfying inequitous and irrational views.

If only.

At the core of your national culture is a "all men are created equal"
document written by slaveholders; slavery persisted for several decades
after these principles were "adopted". Talking about "reason", you have a
significant percentage of population (even a majority?) who believe that
the world was created in seven days, six thousand years ago.

And see, with that one paragraph you contradict everything else.

Your benevolence (England's) appears to be based on nothing more than
timing. You want us to pat you on the back for being the first to end
the slave trade - even if it was only in your country proper and not
severe enough as to break off ties with other countries who's slave
trade provided you essential materials?

Okay, <pat pat>. Feel better? I wouldn't either...