funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spam King arrested

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:08:37 +1200

Åke Nordin to Steve Manzuik to ferg (if memory serves):

Anybody know if the malware Soloway used to build his spambot networks
is subject to fairly easy takeover by somebody else?

Not sure but if a copy of the malware is available it wouldn't be too
hard for one to take a peek and figure out how to gain control of the
botnet.

The least of the problems involved with that scenario are probably
the technological ones. I assume one puts h{im|er}self in a rather
delicate legal position in most western countries if one would hijack
such a botnet (and thus implicitly the systems under it's control),
since there would be a rather high probability that a few of the
affected systems were owned and/or operated by legal bodies in
the same jurisdiction. I reckon only LEAs operating under unusually
permissive legal restrictions would have any chance to get away with it.

Or other spammers, etc.

I'd be very surprised if that was not the concern behind ferg's
original question.

It's all well-and-good, as much of the mainstream media has, to herald
this arrest, and it's understandable that those NOT well-versed in the
workings of modern spam and other Email-based shenanigans might further
herald such an arrest as "likely to result in a reduction in spam", as
most of the mainstream media has, but folk like ferg know all too well
that simply taking out one of those big operators will have pretty much
exactly no effect on the problem, as the slime "advertising" through
spam will simply move to other spammers, and the spammers (or at least,
their botherders) may engage in a turf war trying to wrest control of
the eliminated operator's botnets.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald