funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spam King arrested

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:00:41 -0700

Steve Manzuik wrote:
This arrest is all well and good, but the spam keeps coming.

I wonder why that is [highly loaded question]? ;-)

I think the obvious answer here is because spam is too profitable.
Arrest someone and there is a lineup of people waiting to take his or
her place.  The only way to really solve the spam problem is to figure
out a way to remove the financial gain involved in it.

Right. Throwing people in jail for the rest of their lives is one way to
reduce profitability. And less I sound like I'm being sarcastic, sending
someone away for a decade for compromising 500,000 home machine is
probably about right. (As opposed to, say, calling someone on the phone
and tricking them into sending their source code.)

LE just needs to pick up the pace a little.

                                        Ryan