funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 22:52:33 -0400

Second, I don't have time to write a complete essay discussing the subject...

You've already written what appears to be several thousand words on the subject.

The problem is that National ID Cards don't solve any problem, except to clamp down on illegal immigration.  In the
process, we lose one more bit of precious freedom in an age when we've been hoisting freedoms into a big trash
dumpster, yet Europeans keep telling us we're stupid for caring about it -- because they have National ID Cards and
it's great!  (Yet the great irony is that Europeans come to the states and tell me how much more free America is
compared to their own countries.)

Immigration, arguably, is not a problem.  An examination of history shows that as countries become more prosperous, a
rising middle (and upper class) become less and less interested in menial labor.  Talk to a contractor:  He'll tell you
that the American's aren't applying for the construction jobs.  The immigrants are.

But here's what's really scary -- we've also lost talent on the -top- end of the scale.  We're not getting the
engineers and programmers we need to keep creating all these new technologies.  I know, I run a software company and
have practically drained the local market of talent.  Yet I have developers overseas that would love to work for us.
Good luck, because our fear and paranoia about terrorism has made the process extraordinarily difficult (incidentally,
90% of my R&D is in the US -- I have little interest in the offshore model).

This country has become is so terrified and fearful that it's lost its sense of pragmatism.  Yes, I'm a nutcase
American who doesn't want damned ID cards, cameras on every block and random checkpoints when I take my car for an
afternoon drive.  What age do we live in when we take for granted that we have to live in the dark just to be safe?
What kind of life is that?  And what tradeoff are we giving for "safety"?

Show me something that really _does_ make life safer and better, and I'll rally behind it.  But not this nonsense.

Alex