funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

From: "C Q" <kyle.c.quest () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 17:29:51 -0400

This is a perfect example of throwing everything in one bucket and
oversimplifying things...

1. There's no simple solution.
2. There's no single solution... meaning that there isn't a silver bullet...
Simply saying that documents can be forged, so they are useless is
irresponsible and benefits no one.
Just like with information security... It's all about the "Defense in Depth"
where
you deploy multiple levels of security technologies with different types of
security controls, which compliment each other and which provide additional
levels of security. A unified federal ID is just one of the supporting
tools,
which would simplify the identification process... Let's reduce the number
and the types of documents, so there's one document that everybody
knows how it looks and everybody can verify that it's not a fake
(with various levels of verifications, obviously... visual... electronic,
etc).
You keep saying how easy it is to forge documents... well, with all the
brain
power and the new technology we have we should be able to create
something that's changes it. We have no excuse for not doing that...
Once again, I'd like to use money as an analogy... Give me a counterfeit
bill and I'll be able to tell you if it's a fake... without any fancy
machines
or scanners. If that's possible it should be possible to enhance
the US passport or create a new id that will be hard to forge.

The identification does not stop anything by itself... but it's one of the
supporting
mechanisms used in a multi-layer security system.

This subject is beaten to death already... it's time for it to die :-)