funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:04:00 +0100 (BST)

Again, I'm not saying you have a "right" to anything here - even to
drive. That's a privilege. In answer to your question, its not about
"allowing" anyone to do anything. Its about the government's, and our,
inability to prevent it. Its GOING to happen no matter what we do.

And, remember, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, freedom
ain't free, when its your time just hope you prayed enough or that it
won't matter.

I'm not sure I agree w/
you on that one.  I'll have to mull that over a bit.  My knee jerk is
that after the first fatality, people, normal people, emotional people,
clamored for legislation that would (rightfully?) punish someone who did
drive drunk and hurt/maim/kill someone else.

Since the beginnings of America's love affair of the automobile and
open highways there have been fatalities from drunk drivers. Before
cars there were deadly accidents with drunk cowboys on horses or
buckboards. It happens. Its always happened. It always will happen.

How do you punish someone for something they were going to do? Or
worse, MIGHT have done?

Prison sounds good to me.

If someone is so careless about other people's property and lives, then
they need to be taught that although they can take whatever risks they
want with their own property and life, they can't do that to other people.

Drunk driving is gambling with other people's lives, and you don't need to
wait for a big loss to discourage that behaviour.

Its all over the line. Go back to the cop being merciful and helpful.
You can stop just as many drunk or bad drivers - you just don't have
to ruin their lives.

If drunk-driving were legal, how could you possibly justify a cop stopping
them?