funsec mailing list archives

RE: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 18:15:24 -0400

Passengers on Flight 93 only decided to fight back once they had learned via
cellphone that 2 other hijacked planes had just been turned into suicide
WMDs.  In almost all previous plane hijackings, earlier hijackers were not
bent of committing suicide and taking all the passengers with them.  So yes,
in 20/20 hindsight the Flight 93 passengers should have fought back earlier.
However, before 9/11 it probably would have been a mistake in most cases for
passengers to try to play army commandos.  To their credit, the passengers
on Flight 93 did realize that the rules had changed and they were able to
stop another WMD attack.

One lesson I think that was learned in the 9/11 hijackings is that the
cockpit door of airplane should be kept locked from the inside while a plane
is in the air.

Richard