funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: "Randall M" <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 06:06:24 -0500

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 22:37:02 +0300 (EEST)
From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Subject: Re: [funsec] Student arrested over Counter Strike map
To: Jim Murray <jim () digitaldaemons co uk>, funsec () linuxbox org

Jim Murray <jim () digitaldaemons co uk> wrote:
Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:
"An American student who made a Counter Strike map of Clements High
School has been arrested and sent to an "Alternative Education Center".

Perhaps one of the American's on the list could explain just what law,
exactly, this guy is supposed to have broken. I know the US is
somewhat different (well, a little different and getting less by the
day!) than the UK but don't you still have to actually *break the law*
to get arrested there?

We really need a good "explanation" how this can happen.
U.S. _really_ is somewhat different...

- Juha-Matt
__________________________

Yeah, its different. 3,000  + killed on 9/11. 32 killed in one afternoon.
Weekly lose soldiers for the rights of others. Yeah. We are different
strange bunch. A little skittish.

Thank You
Randall M

"You too can have your very own Computer!"

Note: Side effects include:
Blue screens; interrupt violation;
illegal operations; remote code
exploitations; virus and malware infestations;
and other unknown vulnerabilities.