funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: David Lodge <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:00:32 -0400

Quoting Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>:
I see your point, and raise you, define a public place.  I am with
the prohibition on public places, but our terminology may vary.
I'm not entirely sure where I stand on that.  To me the line between
public places and private places is not, in general, clear-cut.
Okay, let's begin at extremes. Should smoking, if we ignore safety issues,
be allowed on air planes?

Actually - this answer is contrary to common sense: it is better for
the passenger, especially if they have something like asthma to allow
smoking on planes. The simple reason is that if smoking is allowed,
you generally get a better circulation of air, so as to cut down on
complaints.

A more sensible answer is also, yes - you can have a separate smoking
area, as the whole of the plane is running on circulated air, it is
actually easier to have better air conditioning.

I'm also not entirely sure where I stand on smoking bans in public
places (for pretty much any definition of "public places").  In my
(limited) experience they generally strike me as having positive
effects, but they also strike me as government meddling where I'm not
sure it has any business meddling.
Extremes:
1. Government property?
2. Parks?
3. Enclosed spaces, which are places of business holding more than 10
people in them.

It depends, if the area is outdoors and well ventilated and appropiate
waste bins are provided, then what's the argument? (most councils over
here don't provide enough waste bins, then complain that nobody uses
them.)

If the area is enclosed, then it should be a policy of the owner of
the building - not of the government.

As it is, you inhale more pollutants from the fossil fuel industry,
cars, people farting, natural gases ad nauseam than you get from
passive smoking.

I have no problem with going out for a tab when the majority of people
are non-smokers, but I have a big problem with a government forcing me
to, especially when non-smokers tend to avoid non-smoking areas anyway.

dave