funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Highway safety

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:16:38 -0500

> > ONE unintended consequence: DUI checkpoints. If you can't figure it
> > out from there, well, go with god, I don't know. No one can help
> > you...
> >

> An inconvenience?  Yes.  Worthwhile?  Yes, imo.  But, I'm sure you
disagree.

Yeah, absolutely. It's a violation of your 4th and 5th Amendment rights.

As much as I hate to contrast the opinion of a fellow wacky liberal
anarchist... :)

I think the authorities would remind you that driving is a privilege, not a
right. And to continue driving past the checkpoint, you must consent to a
test, whether it starts simply as show your papers and answer a question. In
this regard, its not a violation of anyone's Constitutional Rights.

At least in the UK, they(used to) allow you to show your license within a
certain time at the local Constabulary instead of requiring that you keep
all that stuff in your wallet/glovebox. I personally know 2 people that had
their car broken into and the thieves stole their registration and their
garage door opener..  They cleaned out the person's house before the victim
even discovered the theft.
</digress>

Now if they set up the checkpoint in your driveway or even your living room,
then I would expect that a violation of rights has occurred.

One would think this would long ago been settled in court if otherwise.