funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:40:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Gordon Darling wrote:
I'm afraid not, Gadi. The custom of "happy hour(s)" is now frowned on in
the U.K. as it leads to "anti social drinking" according to our Lords
and Masters at Westminster. Of course the politicians are OK, the House
of Commons is exempt from licensing laws (as the Palace of Westminster
is classified as a Royal Palace) and they can get pissed out of their
heads 24/7/365 in around a dozen different bars!

What with banning smoking in pubs being introduced shortly if they try
fingerprinting as well I can see a lot of "shebeens" (called "private
members clubs" in polite circles) springing up in my corner of rural
South East England!

I can *understand* the anti-smoking law. That's about it. In Israel they
now look to follow UK and SE examples (what examples?!?!) to ban pubs
after 2 AM, to prevent drunk driving.

Silly people.

As to the UK, I will be in London this March and I better be able to
get me pint of beer.

        Gadi.

Gordon